I designed a smart home system to help people who take medications increase their compliance. With two other designers, I created a final solution which addresses key needs identified through user research. Our research began by exploring literature on medication compliance. I conducted directed storytelling to learn the intricacies and emotions involved with this sensitive subject. Next, the user needs we discovered were used to generate over 50 concepts. From these concepts we created storyboards of about 10 scenarios which were evaluated with users in groups. In these groups we discovered that trust, support and empowerment were central to a successful design. This scenario testing activity also helped us validate our design decision. We finalized our design concept by creating a video sketch showing the product in use.
4 weeks in 2007 for Carnegie Mellon University
Myself and 2 other team members